I'm using udpcast for years and any problem has occurs to me.
Now we have bought new pcs and i wan't to use pxe + udpcast to clone
them. I have 2 differents types of network card and the others pieces of
the pcs are the same. The only different is the network chip (AR8131 and
I have my image un gzip mode and... I have made this tests
1. cast'o matcic kernel 2009 november. Works fine in AR8131. kernel
module (atl1c doesn't work with AR8151). (udp-receiver --file /dev/sda
-p 'gzip -dc')
2. Cast'o matic. Kernel 22.214.171.124. Works VERY SLOW using gzip in AR8131
and AR8151. (udp-receiver --file /dev/sda -p 'gzip -dc'). But works
quick with udp-receiver --file /dev/sda without gzip
3. Boot with ubuntu 11.10 live cd. apt-get install udpcast. udp-receiver
--file /dev/sda -p 'gzip -dc' works fine so...
4. Install makeImage in ubuntu 11.10. make initrd with modules and ...
pxe + initrd (11.10) + kernel 3.0.0-12 (and 13 too). same kernel and
modules than Ubuntu 11.10.udp-receiver --file /dev/sda -p 'gzip -dc'
very slow again. udp-receiver --file /dev/sda works fine
5. Same than 4, but compiling busybox 1.18.5 and 1.19.xx and same
result. Slow with gzip
6. ubuntu kernel + makeinitramfs + copy same libraries + copy busybox
(ubuntu 11.10) + copy udpcast (ubuntu 11.10 apt install) + copy gzip
(ubuntu 11.10). Same result. Slow with gzip
7. I have probe with diverse versions of udp-receiver and udp-sender and
the same result (slow with gzip)
8. If you probe that cases with --nosync in udp-receiver and gzip it
works but when it have spent about 10 Gb, computer reboots
So ... when you use old kernel and modules and network card is supported
it works fine.
New kernels and modules fails with gzip compression.
I have found that with 'ps' in pxe boots you can see several instances
of udp-receiver but in live cd you only see one. It can be by the way ps
show information. And I have boot appending maxcpus=1 option to the
kernel and the result has been the same.
In all cases network cards is working at 100Mbps
It seems that livecd after make the 'pivotroot' start any service or
"anything" that increases hard drive performance.
It will be nice any idea.
Thank you very much
Show replies by date