My desired use of udpcast involves PXE booting machines. I am able to
successfully PXE boot, and I am also able to successfully image the
machines. However, I would like to further automate the process, which
involves implementing a post-setup script.
The easy way for me to achieve this (I have the script written) is to simply
use the Cast-o-Matic tool (which I do like). However, I have noticed a
discrepancy in the output of the initrd file from the Cast-o-Matic versus
the "ready prepared" initrd image available for download.
When using the ready made initrd, I am able to successfully mount the hard
drive. Mounting the hard drive is required so that my post setup script can
then make the necessary changes to key files. However, when using the
Cast-o-Matic generated initrd, I am unable to mount the hard drive. I am
given a mount command failed error. My desired behavior is that I would also
be able to mount the hard drive with this initrd.
What I would like to know is if the discrepancy can be fixed (only assuming
that there is one--maybe mismatched versions?--I don't know), or if there is
a way for me to make the "ready prepared" initrd work for my needs? To do
this, I would need to inject two files. I realize that most initrd files are
simply compressed with cpio and then gzipped. I see that this seems to be
the case with the Cast-o-Matic initrds. However, I do not seem to be able to
successfully decompress/extract the ready made one using the same technique.
I apologize for my long windedness. The target operating system is Gentoo
Linux. If any more information is required, please let me know and I will be
more than pleased to provide it ASAP.
SUNYIT Computer Science Department
... Linux und seine Programme sind damit so etwas wie ein real existierender
Sozialismus der besseren Art ...
-- Christian Seel in der Berliner Morgenpost v. 9.3.1997
Thank you both, Jens and Michael. I was missing some dependencies as you
both indicated. I was able to compile it today without a problem. What a
coincidence that you replied Michael; I was actually updating the udpcast
binaries in G4L (terrific project btw!) for testing.
On 7/26/07, udpcast-request(a)udpcast.linux.lu <
> Send Udpcast mailing list submissions to
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of Udpcast digest..."
> Today's Topics:
> 1. Compiling from Source (Jon Miller)
> 2. Re: Compiling from Source (Jens Breuer)
> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 15:32:29 -0500
> From: "Jon Miller" <jmiller7(a)gmail.com>
> Subject: [Udpcast] Compiling from Source
> To: udpcast(a)udpcast.linux.lu
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
> I had a question about compiling udpcast from source. I am inexperienced
> with Linux, so I am probably doing something wrong. I downloaded
> udpcast-20070602.tar.gz as listed on the site (
> http://udpcast.linux.lu/source.html). I followed the steps to extract the
> file to a folder and changed to that directory. However, when I typed the
> make command, it says "make: *** No targets specified and no makefile
> found. Stop.". This is under Ubuntu 6.10.
> I also tried "make --file=./Makefile.in" thinking that it might be what
> needed but got a different error (CC@: Command not found & Error
> 127). Can
> you help me figure out what I am doing wrong?
> Thanks for the project! I am hoping to implement this at a university to
> replace Ghost.
> -Jonathan M
I had a question about compiling udpcast from source. I am inexperienced
with Linux, so I am probably doing something wrong. I downloaded
udpcast-20070602.tar.gz as listed on the site (
http://udpcast.linux.lu/source.html). I followed the steps to extract the
file to a folder and changed to that directory. However, when I typed the
make command, it says "make: *** No targets specified and no makefile
found. Stop.". This is under Ubuntu 6.10.
I also tried "make --file=./Makefile.in" thinking that it might be what was
needed but got a different error (CC@: Command not found & Error 127). Can
you help me figure out what I am doing wrong?
Thanks for the project! I am hoping to implement this at a university to
i've got a question about UDP-Cast:
How can i integrate an telnet server into an initrd for the PXE System?
Maybe you have a tutorial to realize it? Or can you give me any tips to do
I haven't found a forum on your website to ask someone about this, therefore
i write this email.
Thank you in advance.
D-66111 Saarbrücken - Germany
Fon: +49 (0) 681 / 991 991 - 29
Fax: +49 (0) 681 / 991 991 - 25
Geschäftsführer: Ulrich Brüll, Christoph Koch
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Saarbrücken
Register-Nr.: HRB 14167
Sitz: 66111 Saarbrücken
CAUTION - This message may contain privileged and confidential information
intended only for the use of the addressee named above.
If you are not the intended recipient of this message you are hereby
notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of this
message is prohibited.
If you have received this message in error please notify abs immediately.
Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and
may not necessarily reflect the views of abs.