[Udpcast] INSTALL UDPCAST IN A PARTITION

Alain Knaff alain at knaff.lu
Thu Mar 26 20:33:56 CET 2009

Bertrand THOMAS wrote:
> udpcast-request at udpcast.linux.lu a écrit :
>>    1. Re: INSTALL UDPCAST IN A PARTITION (Henrique Rodrigues)
>>    2. Re: INSTALL UDPCAST IN A PARTITION (Alain Knaff)
>>
>> Henrique Rodrigues wrote:
>> Why not load udpcast directly rather than play russian dolls by pretending
>> to boot a floppy?
>>
>> Just point GRUB's kernel and initrd parameters _directly_ to the kernel and
>> udpcast ramdisk:
>>
>> title           UDPcast
>> root            (hd0,3)
>> kernel          /linux
>> initrd          /initrd
>>
>> Where vmlinux.bin is the kernel (as downloaded from
>> http://udpcast.linux.lu/current/linux) and initrd is the udpcast ram disk
>> (as downloaded from http://udpcast.linux.lu/current/initrd)
>>
>> Alain
>>

> Thank you so much, it is so easy this way!
>
> Just a problem: I thought I could get a preconfiguration by putting a
> udpcfg.txt file along with linux and initrd, but it doesn't work,
> I still get the menu at boot. What is wrong?
>
> Bertrand THOMAS

The udpcfg.txt file goes into initrd, not linux.

The easiest way to get it into the proper place is to use the online
configurator at http://udpcast.linux.lu/cast-o-matic

Chose "initrd (for PXE)". Don't be bothered by the "for PXE" label, it
can also be used for the hard disk image.

Another way is to not use an udpcfg.txt file at all, but rather supply
the parameters on the kernel line, after the name of the kernel.