[Udpcast] INSTALL UDPCAST IN A PARTITION

Alain Knaff alain at knaff.lu
Tue Mar 24 14:27:26 CET 2009

Henrique Rodrigues wrote:
> On Tue, March 24, 2009 07:09, Silvio Bandeira wrote:
>> Can we install an udpcast image, so I can boot udpcast in many machines
>> using a local image, instead of booting from CD/PXE ?
>> Thanks in advance.
>> Please reply to this address, i'm not on the list (I will be if I have to
>> :)
>> )
>> Thanks again.
>

> Hi,
>
> There's an easy way. I use the following GRUB entry to boot UDPcast from
> GRUB:
>
> title           UDPcast
> root            (hd0,3)
> kernel          /memdisk.bin
> initrd          /udpflop.img
>
> udpflop.img is a floppy image of UDPcast. memdisk.bin is what I use to
> "launch" udpflop.img. I don't remember how I got that file, but you can
> just Google for it.
>
> Best regards,
> Henrique Rodrigues

Why not load udpcast directly rather than play russian dolls by pretending
to boot a floppy?

Just point GRUB's kernel and initrd parameters _directly_ to the kernel and
udpcast ramdisk:

title           UDPcast
root            (hd0,3)
kernel          /linux
initrd          /initrd

Where vmlinux.bin is the kernel (as downloaded from
http://udpcast.linux.lu/current/linux) and initrd is the udpcast ram disk
(as downloaded from http://udpcast.linux.lu/current/initrd)