[Udpcast] Scaling udpcast

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu Apr 24 15:56:06 CEST 2008

I'm looking at using udpcast to broadcast large disk images (10+ GB)
to a very large network of machines (1,000-10,000 receivers) over a
mostly switched, partially segmented gig-ethernet network.

Needless to say, the network of machines is all production-critical
and I cannot get access to perform real testing.  However testing it
on my home network I can see some potential problems:

 - If _any_ receiver is misbehaving or unreachable then this stops
   all transmissions.  Is there a way to get udpcast to drop
   troublesome receivers in this situation (other than unicast)?

 - Has anyone used the --ttl option to multicast over routers?
   Does it work (the manpage is unclear)?  Does it need special
   routers?

 - Any other scaling tips?  Should I try to go for the full set of
   machines at once or break up the broadcast into groups of machines?

If anyone has used udpcast on such large networks, can you share any
experiences.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-top