[Udpcast] Memory issues creating a PXE boot disk

Alain Knaff alain at knaff.lu
Thu May 25 19:32:17 CEST 2006

Andrew Reusch wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm creating my own boot disk to do a re-image from udpcast. I'm a little
> new at this but have been using linux for about a year and a half now as my
> desktop machine. I've had a decent amount of experience coding so I'm no
> stranger to that either.
>
> I've got an boot disk based off of slackware 10.2. The boot disk loads up a
> ramdisk and then mounts the target hard disk on /mnt/target and then uses
> udp-receiver to receive a tarball into that directory. So theoretically all
> data should go to the hard disk. Everything is fine until udp-receiver is
> started. Once it starts, the Inactive memory usage begins steadily rising
> until it has reached a value about 2 mb below the memory limit, where the
> amount of free memory begins oscillating. This amount of inactive memory
> remains until the bash script that started udpcast exits.
>
> The command line used to start udp-receiver is
>
> udp-receiver --nokbd 2>/udpcast-log | pv -pets --file size--
>> /mnt/target/${pkgfn}
>
> $pkgfn is the name of the tarball.
>
> Normally this is not an issue. But sometimes, the memory peaks out, and the
> kernel kills either udp-receiver or another crucial process. Whoops. The
> boot disk works fine for 128 MB memory computers, but not on 64 MB memory
> ones.
>
> Anybody ever have this happen before? Any ideas??
>
> Thanks very much for any help/guidance,
> Andrew

There was indeed a memory issue in udpcast, which is now fixed in
version 20060525. However, oddly enough, it was in the sender, not the
receiver, so I'm not quite sure whether it is indeed the same problem.

During my tests, memory usage stays constant (around 15 megs) even
during long transfers.  And even with the bug, the excessive amount of
memory was allocated from the start, rather than accumulating.

Could you give it a try anyways, just in case?