[Udpcast] Memory issues creating a PXE boot disk

Andrew Reusch areusch at gmail.com
Tue May 23 06:23:13 CEST 2006

Hi all,

I'm creating my own boot disk to do a re-image from udpcast. I'm a little
new at this but have been using linux for about a year and a half now as my
desktop machine. I've had a decent amount of experience coding so I'm no
stranger to that either.

I've got an boot disk based off of slackware 10.2. The boot disk loads up a
ramdisk and then mounts the target hard disk on /mnt/target and then uses
udp-receiver to receive a tarball into that directory. So theoretically all
data should go to the hard disk. Everything is fine until udp-receiver is
started. Once it starts, the Inactive memory usage begins steadily rising
until it has reached a value about 2 mb below the memory limit, where the
amount of free memory begins oscillating. This amount of inactive memory
remains until the bash script that started udpcast exits.

The command line used to start udp-receiver is

udp-receiver --nokbd 2>/udpcast-log | pv -pets --file size--
>/mnt/target/${pkgfn}

$pkgfn is the name of the tarball.

Normally this is not an issue. But sometimes, the memory peaks out, and the
kernel kills either udp-receiver or another crucial process. Whoops. The
boot disk works fine for 128 MB memory computers, but not on 64 MB memory
ones.

Anybody ever have this happen before? Any ideas??

Thanks very much for any help/guidance,
Andrew