[Udpcast] Cloning flash memories

Jens Breuer breuer.jens at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 14 17:05:02 CEST 2006

> Hi all,

Hi Sara

> I'm new to this list, and I need some information about use udpcast to clone
> the content of IDE flash memories, I have a minilinux using grub into one, and
> another using syslinux as bootloader. Although the flash memories have
> different architeture of blocks and don't have cylinders, I'm not sure if it
> will work fine.

I have some experience with udpcast and flash disks.
When cloning a whole disk (e.g. /dev/hda) it will only work if the
flash disk has _exactly_ the same size or is bigger than the cloned
image. If it is smaller udpcast will issue an error and the OS won't
boot anymore (on XP Embedded you simply get a bluescreen and thats it
for then).
Maybe you will have success when cloning a certain partition (e.g.
/dev/hda1) when the partition has _exactly_ the same size or is bigger
than the imaged partition.

If I am wrong at some point please correct me someone. :)

HTH

Regards to everyone.

Jens