[Udpcast] Problems with udpcast (compressed images corrupt)

Alain Knaff alain at knaff.lu
Mon Feb 20 11:48:18 CET 2006

elekktretterr at exemail.com.au wrote:
> Hi, udpcast is a great tool but:
> Using gzip compression on udp-sender (2005-12-03) corrupts linux
> partitions so they are unreadable, unmountable, unfsckable.
> Using lzop compression on udp-sender (2005-12-03) makes udp-receiver fail
> on receiving the image with an error.

Of course it does not work if you try to use gzip to decompress lzop
compressed data (and vice-versa). These are two different compression
schemes, and should not be mixed.

If you consistently use lzop it works.
If you consistently use gzip it also works.

> Using no compression works perfect, but they are too big, so i manually
> have to gzip or lzop them. (and they work!)

Builtin compression just works as perfect if you use matching
compression on both sides.

> Im using initrd for PXE made by the web configurator.

In order to make sure, I just tried the two scenarios  (Lzop on both
sides, and then gzip on both sides), with a CD image built by
cast-o-matic and both worked just fine (but not mixed, of course)!