[Udpcast] Question on piping option..

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Sun Mar 6 09:06:08 CET 2005

I've been modifying G4L (Ghost for Linux), which creates image
files, and I've got it working well. I am now looking at adding the
udpcast option to do the one to many option.

The g4l currently makes an image file to an ftp server basically
using dd -> compress (gzip, bzip, or lzop) -> ncftp - file.

The reversion is basically used to restore the image.
doing 1 restore takes about 50 minutes, and 2 takes a little over an
hour. Doing 19 machines at the same time takes about 6 1/2 hours.

The Udpcast can copy one machine to 19 machines in about 1 hour,
but it basically requires resetting a machine using the g4l first before
then coping that machine. I would like to be able to copy directly
from the image file to the machines.

Currently, I've been using lzop compression, since it gives the best
speed/size ratio. I've been able to use the udp-sender and udp-
receiver to copy the file from the one machine with the ftp server to
the other. But in trying to process the file thru the pipe, it doesn't do
what I expect.

The ideal is to transfer the compressed lzop file thru the udp, and
then have it be decompressed and run thru dd.

udp-receiver --pipe 'lzop -d -c - | dd of=/dev/hda'

Ideally, I'd like to have eight image files for the 8 labs in my building,
so any lab could be restored.

Thanks.

Note: my modified versions of g4l are on my college ftp server
ftp://202.128.73.29

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu
Number of Seti Units Returned:  15,758
Processing time:  30 years,  95 days, 14 hours, 11 minutes
(Total Hours: 265,094)