[Udpcast] Re: Problem with recovery partition data

Donald Teed dteed at artistic.ca
Mon Apr 19 16:45:32 CEST 2004

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004, Alain Knaff wrote:

> One method is to run a  "hexdump -n 512 /dev/hda" on the disk at
> various stages of the duplication. This prints out a hexdump of the
> first 512 bytes. Then just check whether the 7 bytes have their "good"
> state or the changed state.
>
> N.B. You can run this command right after the udp-receive without
> rebooting by pressing Alt-F2 and pressing return.  This gives you a
> shell where you can run various commands. You can get back to the menu
> with Alt-F1

I'm using a PXEboot initrd generated today and with the 2.4.26 linux
kernel.  I checked the box to include a built in shell.  When
activated it reports itself as Busybox 1.00-pre10 running msh.

I have not had much luck with the built in shell.
help works and it reveals only these commands are available:

break cd continue eval exec exit export help login newgrp read readonly set shift
times trap umask wait

I tried the hexdump command you mention with or without busybox in front
and it reports not found.  Basic stuff like 'ls' is also not found.

I get the feeling I'm doing something wrong.