Problem with recovery partition data

Alain Knaff alain at knaff.lu
Tue Apr 13 20:59:41 CEST 2004

begin  Tuesday 13 April 2004 20:11, Donald Teed quote:
> I guess that given the nature of UDP we have no way of knowing whether
> data transferred is going through correctly.  Is there something
> that can be done to improve on this situation?

One trick is to use compression (lzop). Although this doesn't prevent
bit errors, it would make them very obvious: rather than having
slightly different copies, it would abort with a CRC error.

On the LLL project, we almost always use compression (it makes cast
times much shorter), and in several years of operations, we only had a
single case where a bit error occurred and made the compression abort.