Trouble with tftpd and dhcp and broadcom ethernet client

Alain Knaff alain at knaff.lu
Sat Apr 10 19:13:56 CEST 2004

begin  Thursday 08 April 2004 18:18, Donald Teed quote:
> Thanks for the quick reply.
>
> I've verified the same server used with another client machine
> not using this Broadcom ethernet boots problem free.
> So this seems to be a DHCP problem with the Broadcom hardware
> or drivers.

The first DHCP run by the PXE stack seems to run ok, and it's the
second one, run by the menu system, which fails.

I've made a new version 20040410 which is able to read the ip
configuration read by the PXE stack.

To enable it, just add "ipappend 1" on a line by itself to
pxelinux.cfg/default

This instructs Pxelinux to store the IP address, netmask, etc. that it
got from the server into an environment variable that is then read by
the udpcast menu system (today's version)

> I found this item in a mailing list which seems to be about a similar
> problem:
>
> (Slow DHCP)
> http://bohnsack.com/lists/archives/xcat-user/2518.html

Ok, so it is a timing issue.

I've also added a new kernel parameter, "netwait", which instructs
udpcast to wait this many seconds before attempting to do Dhcp.

just add this to the append line in pxelinux.cfg/default :

 append ... netwait=10

(N.B. Should not be needed if you use ipappend).