[Udpcast] UDPcast performance on high speed networks?

Alain Knaff alain at knaff.lu
Tue Dec 17 17:02:47 CET 2002

Le Mar 17 Déc 2002 15:56, Felix Rauch a écrit :
> Dear list members,
>
> I'm interested in the best case performance of UDPcast on fast
> networks like Fast Ethernet or Gigabit Ethernet. So far my results are
> not so good, but maybe I'm doing something wrong and maybe somebody
> can give me any hints.
>
> For Fast Ethernet, I get the following performance (without disk
> access):
>
> Clients Performance [MB/s]   re-xmits
> 1       11.8                 12
> 2        0.89                142290
> 4        0.93                103320
> 8        1.0                 ?
>
> So, while I get wire speed with only one client and server, I only get
> about 10% of the best performance for more than 1 client.

10% ? That suspiciously looks as if your switch is dropping down from
100Mb/s to 10Mb/s. This happens often on 10/100 switches, if one
device is connected to it that cannot handle 100. Many switches don't
understand IGMP, and thus do not know the composition of the multicast
group. Multicast transmission goes out of _all_ ports (rather than
only those where receivers are), and if one of the ports has a 10Mbps
device attached, the switch slows down the communication.

The problem does not happen if there is only one receiver connected,
because in that case udpcast uses unicast, rather than multicast. With
unicast, switches usually know which ports should get the traffic, and
which ones shouldn't (or else, it would be a hub, not a switch).

There are several ways around this:
1. Maybe your switch does understand IGMP, but this is just switched
off? Can you check what happens if you enable it (IGMP snooping)?
N.B. Some 3com switches, and maybe others as well, do have a config
option for IGMP snooping, but it is not actually implemented...
(i.e. even if enabled, it doesn't work).

2. Or if the above doesn't work, try disabling flow control in the
switch. With that config, the switch will just drop the packets that
it cannot transmit on the 10Mb/s ports (but the 100 Mb/s ports still
enjoy the complete transmission).

3. If that doesn't help either (or is unavailable), try unplugging all
devices that do not participate in the communication. It might be
necessary to unplug the "uplink" to the root switch as well, if you
have a multi-level switched network. In that case, DHCP may be
unavailable, if your DHCP server is sitting on a different
switch. Just configure the IP addresses by hand. What also works is to
leave the uplink in during IP discovery, and to unplug it only when
all stations have gotten their IP address.

With switches appropriately configured (i.e. "no flow control", our
switches unfortunately don't understand IGMP), we get up to 90 Mb/s on
our machines (if hard disks are fast enough).

> Am I missing
> something? Are the high re-xmit-numbers normal or do they point to a
> problem? The commands I use are as follows:
>
> node01:~/src/udpcast> ./udp-sender --file /dev/zero --full-duplex
> node02:~/src/udpcast> ./udp-receiver --file /dev/null
>
> On Gigabit Ethernet the performance seems even worse, I can barely
> transmit any data. Here's what happens on the sender during 1 minute:

Not sure that this is the same problem as on 100Mbit/s. Indeed, as
this technology is much more recent, most Gigabit switches (hopefully)
should know how to correctly switch multicast traffic.

But maybe a different problem is occuring (but it might still be worth
trying to disconnect from the Gigabit switch all devices that are
unrelated to the transfer).

> node01:~/src/udpcast> time ./udp-sender --file /dev/zero --full-duplex
> --interface eth1 --log /tmp/udpcast.log Udp-sender 2001-12-31

Can you also retry this with the half-duplex flag, just in case?